Tag-Archive for » harry potter «
I got this beautiful print from Colorworld Books’ bookfair exhibit space at the AWP conference this year. I had such a hard time deciding what to choose (so much fandom goodness!) but this one spoke to me, so I went with it. I recently put it up on the wall of my craft room. Its title is “Wendy and Hermione whip out their Patronus.” Garrett Richert, artist for their third book (I still have the first book on Mt. TBR) illustrated Hermione and Wendy, Rachel E. Kelly’s book character, each conjuring a patronus. I love the idea of tying fandom loves in with original characters. Way to go, Colorworld Books!
Now how much do I want their print of Deadpool drinking herbal tea? SO MUCH!
Thanks to fanfiction, I’ve been able to explore the characters and world of Harry Potter. I’ve come up with a lot of good headcanon for most of these, but that doesn’t mean I still don’t wish for more books written by JKR.
These are a few pages of a Hogwarts Passport I created for a swap years ago. The first half of the passport was to be made as though we were Hogwarts students (we had a list of pages we were required to create). The second half was about our place in the Harry Potter fandom. Here are a few of the pages from the first half. Click for larger images.
This special collector’s edition of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone was marked for $75 at Borders, but on sale for $20. So I figured I got a great book for a great deal. It’s a prized part of my collection, and I love it very much. It’s got an illustration of JKR’s inside as well, which was wonderful to see so many years before her website and Pottermore revealed these sorts of insights.
My local meetup group held a fanwork rec meetup where we all brought our favorite fanfic, fanart, fanvids, wizard rock, and more. Here’s what my group came up with with links wherever possible.
It’s simply impossible to put together short lists of Wizard Rock. There’s just too much out there I love. So here’s a list of ten that I think are good examples of songs that expand the Harry Potter universe by making me think about things I’d not thought about before.
Top Ten Thought-provoking Wizard Rock Songs
- “Merope’s Song” by Nagini- exploring Merope’s thoughts and what motivates her to break out of her life of abuse… and do something terrible that turned into something even more terrible
- “The Economics of the Wizarding World Don’t Make Sense” by Harry & the Potters- such a good observation. How does Ollivander stay in business?
- “1991- Charlie Weasley” by Tonks and the Aurors- why Tonks/Charlie didn’t work out
- “Draco’s Christmas Wish” by Riddle TM- I’d never thought about what Christmas would be like with Lord Voldemort living in your house
- “Freak” by Lauren Fairweather- there aren’t many songs about Petunia (probably for good reason) but this one’s great at exploring her and this moment from the Prince’s Tale
- “Pointy Hats” by Alas Earwax- seriously, where did all the pointy hats go?
- “What’s Wrong?” by Tianna and the Cliffhangers- bisexual!Ginny Weasley’s coming out song is so beautiful
- “A Phoenix Lament” by the Ministry of Magic- there are other WRock songs that deal with character death, but this one really rang true for me for their post-series mindsets (and inspired me to write a George fic)
- “Has Anybody Seen My Goyle?” by The Blibbering Humdingers- because no one else ever bothered to wonder what went through Crabbe’s and Goyle’s minds when Draco made them polyjuice into girls repeatedly during sixth year
- “Bella” by Snidget- made me think a lot more about Bellatrix’s loyalty vs. personal ambition regarding her purpose in life. She suddenly became a more complex character to me
Thank you to Delma for helping me feel better about one of the songs on my list and suggesting a good thought path for me to get my last one on here. *hugs*
I’ve done a bunch of different House ATC swaps. During the last one, both of my partners were Hufflepuffs! So I chose a few pages from the copy of Chamber of Secrets I had on hand (a book that was falling apart that I’m re-purposing through crafts) that had particularly Hufflepuff passages. A little watercolor and a stamp I bought on Etsy later, and I have some fun Hufflepuffy ATCs.