And not the good kind of crying, either. This is a list of ways Joss Whedon broke my heart. But he’s so damn good at it, I can’t help but love him. Not a single tear went to waste, though. Like he says, he gives us what we need, not what we want.
BEWARE: SO MANY SPOILERS IN THIS LIST! SO MANY! ALL THE SPOILERS! BEWARE!
Top Ten Eleven Times Joss Whedon Made Me Cry with Sadness
- Why can’t I stay? Oh gods. I can’t even think about Fred’s death without tearing up; why did I think I could write this list?
- Willow and Tara breaking up- Any time “Goodbye to You” plays when I’m in a department store or grocery store, I am a bawling mess
- Agent Coulson- Not only was it death, it was beautiful, heroic manipulation for the greater good. I hate that I love it so much
- Dr. Horrible’s induction- Dr. Horrible needed a kill to get into the ELE and it’s Joss, so how did I not see it coming? And how is it that him achieving his dream and losing his love all at once makes me cry even after seeing it a hundred times?
- Buffy’s gift- I cry the most when I think of other people’s losses. Seeing everyone crying, especially Spike, makes me lose it
- Tara- hopes up and then back down, just like that. And down really, really, really low
- Wes bleeding out alone- he just thought he was doing what was right, trying to save Angel’s son, and look what it got him. Plus, the emotion Angel has when he tries to kill him in the hospital…
- Am I done?- Cordy watching Doyle’s foreboding video message always makes me cry, especially considering Glenn Quinn’s struggles and death IRL
- Kitty Pryde- WHAT? I mean… WHAT? I’m still working through the stages of grief on this one
- Wes- Not only because Wesley Wyndam-Pryce was my favorite character in the show but having him die in Fred!Ilyria’s arms as he goes literally kills me (luckily, I’m a cat and have 9 lives, so I have to be careful how many times I watch the end of Angel). Only in a Joss Whedon show could you have two characters die in each other’s arms half a season apart and pack both deaths full of so many layers of emotion, love, regret, and bravery
- A leaf on the wind- When someone yells “Damn you, Joss!” out loud during CSTS, I laugh through my tears, but I always cry. This one hit me so hard. It was so painfully sudden and surprising and happened to such a great character.
You might have noticed Joyce isn’t on this list. I can’t remember crying over her death. I just remember being absolutely shocked. Because she’d been through so much and was getting better. That sudden kind of death for no apparent reason just doesn’t happen in TVLand! Of course, it took me a few episodes to realize that of course there was a reason. It’s Joss. There’s always a reason.